Post # 3 on Self-conciousness

“I’m in a rowboat on the lake in Central Park. Fortunately I’m not rowing the boat. I’m still in college, but soon I wont be, soon I’ll be living here, in New York City. I look up at all the buildings surrounding the park, and it crosses my mind that except for the man rowing the boat, I don’t know anyone in New York City. And I barely know the man in the boat. I wonder if I’m going to end up being one of those people you read about in newspapers, who lives in New York and never meets anyone and eventually dies and no one even notices until days later, when the smell drifts out into the hallway. I vow that someday I will know someone in New York City.” (Ephron 101)

I think this is a good example of self-continuousness and Nora Ephron even starts the paragraph with the word “I” which is extremely important when you are writing about self itself. She is taking our attention from everybody and putting on her. The fact that she uses “I’m” makes us connect to her in someway. We know that this event has has already occurred but she still uses the present tense to show us as if this is happening right now, at this particular moment. This way it will help us to give an image of her in the boat with the stranger who she doesn’t even know. Also another interesting thing about this is that she doesn’t just uses self-consciousness in present tense but also for future since she said “I’ll be living here, in New York City” From this passage we can learn so much about her since she tells us where she is and where she wants to be and she also shows her feelings to us since she doesn’t know anybody there. Not only that, she also indicates that something will happen in her future and that she will know someone because she wants people to notice her when she dies instead of just dying alone.

From this passage we see how she actually feels and what she experiences as she is in that boat. As she is in the boat, we do get the feelings of loneliness since she says, “I wonder if I’m going to end up being one of hose people you read about in newspapers, who lives in New York and never meets anyone and eventually dies and no one even notices…” From this we can conclude that she wants to change these feelings about her self-consciousness at the time she is in. We see that she is definitely determined to change these feelings of being all alone and fear of dying alone as well just by showing herself and attempting to meet other people, like the man in the boat who she doesn’t even know.

By writing her story this way, simply allows us to see that she is writing about self-continuousness since her fears reveal who is she really is and what she does or what she feels. What I liked the most as I was reading The Story of My Life in 3,500 Words or Less is that author wrote the autobiography in a way that readers are able to make connections to her life and her as well.