Anne Sexton-To Bedlam & Part Way Back

Death is a prominent theme in Anne Sexton’s work since we constantly see throughout her poems. I chose two poems to talk about which deal with death, “The Double Image” and “The Moss of His Skin.”

“The Double Image” is addressed to Anne’s younger daughter, Joyce. It talks about Sexton’s life that she was hospitalized, attempted to commit suicide, her mother was extremely ill and fighting for her life. In this poem, Sexton used portrait to give us representation of death. The death is suicidal here which affects the whole family tremendously. This poem started with Anne’s mother who didn’t appreciate Anne’s attempt of committing suicide. Instead of forgiving Anne, her mother decided to make her portrait done which will hold her memories before death. There is also portrait of the Anne’s mother which represents sickness therefore shows the feelings of lifelessness. The mother was sick and she also chose to get her portrait done. I think it is interesting that the relationship between three generations are being told through the portraits of the mother, Anne and her daughter, Joyce. The portraits are giving us portrayal of life before death separated them. It is fascinating that Anne connected together the birth of her daughter with her attempt to commit suicide and on the other hand, giving birth to new relationship with her daughter with the dying relationship of her mother. I find this ironic that on one hand Sexton started the relationship with her daughter while on the other hand, the relationship with her mother is “dead.” Maybe Sexton was trying to say that in order for someone to live, someone has to die so therefore the mother had to die to make the granddaughter live.

The other poem that deals with death is “The Moss of His Skin.”As I was reading this poem, I discovered that there is a note which mentions that Arabic girls were buried alive with their dead fathers. From this note, we can also assume that that this poem will also deal with a young girl who is buried with her dead father. This poem is is showing us the perspective of the girl who was buried alive. We see the description of Sexton’s relationship with her father when she describes that she was holding her father’s body like “an old stone tree”(24). From, this we know that the Sexton was lying next to her dead father and holding his body close to her which was icy cold.

11 Responses to Anne Sexton-To Bedlam & Part Way Back

1. zharajaffrey says:

I agree I also noticed the theme of death which continuously reoccurs in Anne Sexton poems. I did read “The Moss of His Skin” it does speak about death about being buried alive. And is from the point of view of the prospective girl who is buried. From my blog you can probably see that I agree with what you have said about “The Double Image” it was the same reading I got from it.

2. pamelaburger says:

You raise some great points here about these poems. I find this claim particularly interesting: “The portraits are giving us portrayal of life before death separated them.” It does seem in some way that the portrait is an attempt to keep the mother and daughter alive, with the looming threat of death hanging over them, about to separate them. I don’t know if I agree that in order for one to live another HAD to die, but that certainly is an intriguing proposition, and you do have me convinced that the poem suggests an inter-dependent relationship between life and death. I just commented on Zhara’s blog that I think this might be related to Sexton’s postpartum depression after her daughter’s birth. In that way, the birth is quite literally connected to the mother’s desire to die.

3. jennylee says:

Nice analysis of the portrait motif if “The Double Image” — it gave me another way to view at the portraits.

And I’m so glad you picked out “The Moss of His Skin,” because it was one of the many poems in the collection that I found really disturbing yet beautiful…or maybe I just have a disturbed mind…

Yeah, the note about how the girls were buried alive next to their fathers was horrifying read; however, Sexton kind of spins it around and makes it seem like the young girls were at peace at their death. now to think of it, her poem almost speaks like an epitaph, like she’s honoring those young girls…

4. Mozelle says:

Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?

I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on.
    Any tips?

Feel free to surf to my web-site … conglomerate; Mozelle,

5. Very well written story. It will be useful to anybody who
    usess it, as well as yours truly :). Keep doing what you are doing
    – i will definitely read more posts.

6. Thanks for the recommendations on credit repair on this web-site.
    The thing I would offer as advice to people is usually to give up the particular mentality that they buy currently
    and pay later. As being a society all of us tend to try this for many
    factors. This includes trips, furniture, and also items we’d like.
    However, you’ll want to separate the wants from all the needs.
    If you are working to improve your credit score you have to make some trade-offs.
    For example you possibly can shop online to save
    money or you can go to second hand stores
    instead of high-priced department stores to get clothing.

7. Thanks for the suggestions you discuss through this website.
    In addition, many young women exactly who become pregnant never
    even try and get medical health insurance because they dread they might not qualify.
    Although many states at this point require insurers supply coverage despite the pre-existing
    conditions. Rates on all these guaranteed options are usually greater,
    but when taking into consideration the high cost of medical
    treatment it may be your safer strategy to use to protect one’s financial potential.

My webpage; Patricia Dwelley

8. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly believe this site needs a great deal more attention. I’ll probably be back again to see more, thanks
    for the advice!

9. Google says:

1- Find a product to promote, something you feel passionate about
    and that you know people will want to buy it. In addition, the
    observing surgeons could transmit their comments to the operating surgeon, who could read them on the Google Glass monitor.
    The only tab of your concern is Public Templates, and no actions are necessary as it is already on the screen.

10. Need To Know Tips For Shopping On The Internet

If you don’t know what you’re up against, online shopping can be dangerous.Keep reading to learn what you need to save money online.

Never ever provide your social security details when shopping online.
    No site needs such information in order to complete a purchase.
    Get away from this site quickly and look for a reputable one.

Use online retailer search sites to help narrow your search.

Look at product page information carefully before buying.
    Remember that product photo may not be exactly represent what
    you receive.

Never ever provide your SSN when shopping online. No shopping websites should
    ever ask for this extremely personal piece of information when you’re making purchases.
    Get away from this site quickly and look for
    a reputable one.

Look at customer reviews for a retailer you are considering.This generally gives you will receive what you are expecting to receive.
    If the seller has consistent low ratings, you likely should look elsewhere.

Bookmark all the retailers you visit most often. These sites
    can be kept in one place so you use most often. Include
    promote sites and coupon or promo sites you use when shopping
    online. This makes it easy for you with just a hurry.

Most online retailers track users. The cookies will track customers’ surfing habits and what
    you buy.Read through any privacy policy that the
    retailer plans to use your personal information and
    not even knowing it.

Take any passwords seriously. Avoid simple words or easy to figure out.Don’t make things easy for bad guys to get
    to your information. Use random passwords with letters, letters and numbers
    in them.

So check their deals pages before you buy anything, many websites offer discounts therefore.
    Even coupons for basic shipping discounts can add up when you
    buy a few moments of things.

Many people find online shopping impossible to resist.
    Just clicking your mouse brings you a whole world of items.
    When you learn how to shop online, you’ll never go back to shopping
    in person again.

11. coupon code says:

Hello to all, the contents present at this web page are in fact awesome for people experience, well,
    keep up the nice work fellows.